Monday, April 26, 2010

SHELL COLLECTOR

Glittery and glamorous, this guest bathroom in Southampton has taken the ubiquitous shell motif to new heights. The  giant clam sink, glamorous capiz shell wallpaper, shell encrusted mirror and matching sconces are spectacular on their own, but together, the multitude of shell elements feels a little over the top.

Maybe it's just me, but I would much prefer a few well chosen sea inspired pieces that really make a statement. A recent project included the refurbishing a small, dark powder room in a 1920's townhouse. The original black and white checkerboard marble floor were complimented by Maya Romanoff's capiz shell wallpaper on the walls. We installed an Ann Sacks dark bamboo, granite topped vanity and finished the room with a fanciful shell encrusted mirror.  The contrast of natural elements and subtle layering of tones and textures brought an unmistakable beachy character and charm to the little powder room.



There's a wealth of beautiful shell fixtures, furniture and decorative objects; some of my favorites include:










Bathroom Photo:House Beautiful, Conrad Vanity by Ann Sacks, Maya Romanoff Capiz Wallpaper, Oly Studio Wellfleet Sconce, Capiz Encrusted Dressing Table by Stephen Miller, Oly Studio Neptune Mirror, Isabella Mirror by Made Goods, Venus Mirror by Made Goods, Irene French Side Table by Made Goods, Alba Coral Disk Mirror, Oly Studio Atlantis Sconce

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that sink in the second image is just beautiful!

The Shiny Pebble said...

Ooooh, I don't know, I think I love the over the topness of it all. I totally understand what you are saying though...

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I agree with you on it being over the top. Even just switching out the mirror and shell-sink would bring it back to fabulous!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I agree with you on it being over the top. Even just switching out the mirror and shell-sink would bring it back to fabulous!

rosiecampbell said...

I love that capiz shell wallpaper!

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

The bathroom basin is stunning, what a fab idea. Although I do like the light fixtures. Everywhere I go today everyone has the sea on their minds.

Punctuation Mark said...

I used those mother of pearls panels once and they look amazing!!! so luxurious!! have a nice one!!!

Splenderosa said...

I've been saving this post so I could thoroughly enjoy all the lovely images. I have absolutely tons of shells, all bought for my jewelry, but just sitting now in big plastic bins (sort of over-bought)...what a wonderful idea to do something creative with them. Love this post.

yanmaneee said...

nike epic react
golden gooses
christian louboutin outlet
coach outlet sale
cheap nfl jerseys
100% real jordans for cheap
ralph lauren uk
cheap mlb jerseys
nike shoes
yeezy shoes