Wednesday, September 15, 2010

GALLERY TOUR: NOTORIOUS & NOTABLE

 Jean Schlumberger cigarette Lighter used by Diana Vreeland
Just in time for the NY Fashion week, a new exhibit has opened at the Museum City of New York-Nortorious and Notable: 20th Century Women of Style showcases stunning couture and fabulous bling worn by 81 famous female NYC icons including Diana Vreeland, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Babe Paley. The exhibit features a runway of spectacular original attire along with a host of gorgeous jewelry and accessories-it's a fun glimpse into fashion's glamorous past.  Who is notorious and who is notable--that's up to you!
Zandra Rhodes gold brocaded evening gown worn by Rosamund Bernier, 1977
Handbag carried by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

 
 Paul Poiret chiffon tunic-style evening gown worn by Isadore Duncan, 1912

 18K yellow gold and rubies cuff bracelet worn by Corice Canton Arman
 Christian Dior twill weave silk dinner dress worn by the Duchess of Windsor, 1968

 Mauboussin, Trabert and Hoeffer Indian emerald cabochon and gold bracelet in calla lily design worn by Fannie Hurst, 1920's
 Stephen Burrows striped synthetic single knit jersey evening dress owned by Ethel Skull, 1960's

 Zolotos yellow gold flower brooch worn by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

 Gown worn by Lena Horne

 Strip costume owned by Gypsy Rose Lee 1940's

13 comments:

Marie Arden said...

Another reason to love NY city in the fall. I am trying to get there soon! Love your blog.
Nothing like walking in NY on a crisp autumn day.
Marie Arden Pink Living blog

The Buzz Blog said...

This looks like to makings of a blogging field trip to me... we should meet in the city and see the exhibit together! Beautiful images to inspire our day...

Splendid Sass said...

Beautiful pieces. Wish I could be in New York to see this.
Have a nice day.
Teresa

Hamptontoes said...

I think I'm going to have to check this out! I agree with the Buzz, let's do a field trip!

STYLE'N said...

wow these pieces are stunning. I love that cuff!

Unknown said...

So glad you mentioned it --- ys, Carolyn's right. This has blogger field trip all over it! I remember living in nyc when the Jacckie Kennedy O exhibit was there - I was in heaven.

Unknown said...

This is MY kind of exhibit! That Stephen Burrows gown is amazing! XX!

designchic said...

I adore them all but that handbag...devine!!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

I can't get over those gowns! I love history, I love it when the past comes to life right before your eyes!! Too bad I'm not close enough to witness for myself. Awesome!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Frances Dunn said...

sorry, I double clicked and left the comment 2x!

Unknown said...

I am obsessed with DV's gold fish! I have a tiny charm very similar, but not nearly as chic! Would love to see this as well!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.