Friday, February 25, 2011

OSCAR WORTHY HORS D'OEUVRE


I wanted to share with you my secret cocktail crowd pleaser, perfect for a little Oscar Party celebration this weekend.  The hors d'oeuvre is three ingredient, delicious puff that takes only twenty minutes to prepare. The recipe was created one day under duress--a group of hungry friends arrived after an afternoon of tennis and I was left scrambling in the kitchen for something to serve. I pulled out a hunk of delicious Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and some Prosciutto de Parma from the fridge and rolled the ingredients into little puff pastry bites. The salty combination is addictive-perfect with a little champagne! 
 
Prosciutto and Parmesan Puffs
The key to the recipe is the quality of the ingredients--don't skimp! Buy real Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and Prosciutto de Parma, the complex flavors of these Italian classics marries beautifully in a buttery, delicious morsel.
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1/2 sheet of Puff Pastry (Pepperidge Farms)
2 ounces thinly sliced Prosciutto de Parma
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
(optional-shredded fresh basil)

Thaw pastry according to package directions. 1. Put pastry half of 17 ounce Pepperidge Farm box (one sheet) on lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 long pieces and work with one piece at a time.
2.  Press grated cheese gently into pastry, making a light cover
3. Lay slices of prosciutto in a single layer on top of cheese. Leave 1/4 inch on side so filling doesn't fall out.
4. Gently roll pastry into pinwheel-should be 3/4 inch wide for mini bite but can be made larger if desired.
5. Cut pastry into 3/4 inch slices 

6. Lay the slices, cut side down, on a cookie sheet. 
7. Cook until puffy and golden, about 15 minutes




17 comments:

The enchanted home said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The enchanted home said...

OK this should have my name in the recipe title, I am going to make these this weekend, this is a recipe after my own heart! I LOVE anything having to do with parmigiano, puff pastry and prosciutto...are you kidding..whats not to love?
These look heavenly and are something I probably would have to use great self control over not eating the entire tray before they are served. How I wish I didn't like cheese! Oh well...thanks for the recipe, have some friends coming over on Sunday and you have just helped me figure out what to make before dinner ( I am also making ironically wrapped asparagus in prosciutto with puff pastry) so we are in for a big treat..yum!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Somehow the Cheerios I'm about to eat are not going to be nearly as satisfying as this. Happy weekend, Barbara!

Hamptontoes said...

My family would love this, and I might find a substitute for the meat for mine!

I Dream Of said...

Delicious! Isn't puff pastry just the best trick ever. So many easy and delicious things you can do with it. Thanks for the recipe, hope you enjoy the weekend!
Jeanne

Party Resources said...

I am heading to an Oscar Party - maybe I will make this - looks fabulous! Have a great weekend!

designchic said...

Sounds delicious...love anything that has puff pastry!! Have a great weekend ~

Stitchfork said...

just added to my grocery list!
Happy weekend!
xo Cathy

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I'm going to an Oscar party but I've been charged with bringing dessert, might have to bring this as well, just to impress :)

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

It looks delicious!!

Stacey said...

Such a delicious looking recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Splendid Sass said...

This sounds and looks wonderful, Barbara.
Will be trying this.
Teresa
xoxo

Suburban Princess said...

These look sooooo good! Nothing bad can come of bacon and cheese!

quintessence said...

YUM!! Ok - of course anything that works with "a little champagne" is good in my book!! These look truly delicious - might just have to try them this weekend.

Town and Country House said...

Thanks for sharing your little invention with us! I'll be making these Sunday night and serving champagne! Yum!

Splendid Market said...

oh, yum. These look beautiful, in addition to the flavor I can only imagine the fabulous texture. I love the magic of puff pastry. ebh

Unknown said...

Can I come watch the Oscars at your house?! :)
xo Elizabeth