Wednesday, November 30, 2011

TASTE: SPANISH HOT CHOCOLATE

You don't need to be faced with a snow day to enjoy a cup of delicious hot chocolate, and my favorite doesn't come from the Swiss Alps but sunny Spain. Not only have the Spaniards mastered tapas but they bring a sophisticated elegance to hot chocolate without a powered mix or crunchy marshmallow in sight. Spanish chocolate is dark, thick and dense with a rich mellow flavor. The sweet morning repast is served in tiny cups with a piping hot, decadently delicious churros that you  use to dip into the hot chocolate. Playing with your food was never so much fun! The best place to experience a cup of chocolate is in Madrid at the Chocolateria San Gines, a little restaurant turning out churros and chocolate to the masses since 1894. We walked in one morning last July and I was surprised to see locals sipping and dipping chocolate in the 110 degree heat.  Sound crazy?  Crazy good! We sat down and asked for chocolate con churros, por favore, not that we even needed to ask--San Gines is where you go for chocolate. Period. The marriage of dense chocolate and crispy fried dough is truly unforgettable. Not that I'm suggesting you give up your Kashi Go Lean, but for a truly special morning treat you can't go wrong with a cup of Spanish chocolate. Ole!


Chocolateria San Gines
Pasadizo de San Ginés 11, Madrid, Spain
T: 91 365 65 46
Metro: Sol





I leave churros making to the expert and substitute thin, crunchy butter cookies--it really does the trick!


Spanish Chocolate
4 ounces of Dark Chocolate
2 Cups of Milk
1 Tablespoon of Corn Starch
4 Tablespoons of Sugar
To prepare the hot chocolate for dipping, place the chocolate and half the milk in a saucepan over very low heat and cook, stirring, until the chocolate has melted. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining milk and whisk into the chocolate with the sugar. Cook on low heat, whisking constantly until the chocolate thickens, approximately 5 minutes. Remove and whisk until smooth. Pour chocolate into cups and serve with churros.You don't need to be faced with a snow day to enjoy a cup of decadent hot cocoa. 

14 comments:

Party Resources said...

May I have some right now? Pretty please?? xx

The enchanted home said...

Churros and chocolate...could it get any better than that? I dont' think so!

I Dream Of said...

Thanks for taking me back to Spain! Churros and hot chocolate were one of my favorite treats while we were there. Perhaps I'll whip up some Spanish hot chocolate for tree decorating this weekend!

Splendid Sass said...

Barbara-
I will be able to tell you how I loved this today! Throughout the post I was wishing I had the recipe!
Thank you for sharing.
Teresa
xoxo

Acquired Objects said...

It's cold up here in New England today with blowing winds so I really think I need some of this hot chocolate please!

Anonymous said...

Oh it's incredible, the spoon can almost stand up by itself in that thick chocolatey delight.

p-l-a-i-d said...

That looks absolutely delicious!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

YUM! Sounds so good!

Janet Rudolph said...

Love Churros and Hot Chocolate! Fabulous post.. I want both now!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Oh that sounds positively decadent! :)

Estefanía Ainoza said...

Great pictures! I love it!!

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Oooh! It's my Sunday treat every week since I've lived in Spain. In fact most churros bars are packed on a Sunday morning. It's like the reward after sitting through a Catholic mass ;-)

Barbara@HausDesign said...

YUM! I have been to that exact cafe and we sat outside at one of those tables...thanks for the great memory. :) They were sinfully rich and so delicious!

designchic said...

As a confessed chocoholic this is my heaven. Would love to have a cup while trimming my tree this weekend!!