Friday, December 16, 2011

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS-SOUTHAMPTON FIRESIDE DINNER

Hi everyone and welcome to Home for the Holidays-A Southampton Fireside Dinner. It's been an amazing dinner party with fantastic holiday design inspiration and delicious dining ideas from Cocktails & Carols, Tree Trimming & Holiday Cheer and our Festive First Course in Seville posts. I hope you've left a little room for dinner!  


I've always really loved the Holiday season-you might call me mildly obsessed. I was the crafty girl who spent hours pushing cloves into oranges for my bowl of pomanders, hand painted Christmas ornaments and fervently believed in Mr. Clause until--well I'm too embarrassed to say! I've learned to channel my Holiday centered enthusiasm but I still love a beautifully decorated tree, stylishly set table and a good Holiday party! Let's have some fun-
Southampton is the perfect spot for a beachy Christmas scene. I like to use natural elements like wicker and raffia to decorate, especially during the holidays.
Time for a cocktail. I set the bar up on a side table so that guests can serve themselves. I always have plenty of wine and champagne for guests and like to serve a fun signature cocktail
like a bubbly Poinsettia Champagne cocktail  
I couldn't resist the beautiful orange kumquats I found at the flower market. I mixed them with tropical palm leaves and traditional spruce branches for an unusual Holiday arrangement
Our labradoodle Dash is such a party boy!
Old fashioned mercury ornaments in a wooden basket are country chic
Don't you just love paperwhites? Not only do they have a wonderful scent, they look so gorgeous. I added white poinsettia and some seashells for a chic monochromatic vignette.

The hurricanes have a pretty alabaster band that reminded me of the inside of a shell. I added a few sprigs of kumquats-so pretty!
Looking for a stylish, inexpensive tablecloth? Try burlap-it can be dressed up or down, just roll it out, no hem needed.
Party crashers!
I used the foyer rather than my dining room for dinner because I wanted a more intimate space. Mix things up a bit and don't be afraid to use other rooms to entertain! 
A fresh willow wrapped around the kumquats make a pretty napkin holder.
Gold chargers and alabaster flatware give the table instant glamour.  
Keep dinner simple but elegant-my favorite special occasion entree is a roasted filet of beef with garlic-wasabi cream, delicious!
Add a decadent potato and mushroom gratin and...

Red wine, a must-I never met a Pomerol I didn't love!
There's a roaring fire in the living room waiting for us- so inviting!
Thank you for joining me for my Southampton Fireside Dinner. I loved sharing my favorite Holiday designs and ideas with you today. Please save room for dessert and join me on Monday when the oh so stylish Design Chic will be sharing a tantalizing Sugarplum Dessert Buffet with us! 

25 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Barbara!! Wow you have outdone yourself....saving the best for last! What a spectacular setting you created, love all the elegant details. Yes, agree on the paperwhites and love what have done and the kumquat arrangments as well as setting each place setting with them....brilliant!
Your tree, garland, all the elegant decor and even those adorable party crashers are just PERFECTION!
Lucky guests!

Acquired Objects said...

Barbara everything looks so wonderful! I love how you set the table everything looks so festive. Dash and your daughter are adorable too!

I Dream Of said...

Barbara, this is stunning! Everything is so elegant and beautiful. The perfect menu, all the little details. I can imagine walking into your beautiful home and being welcomed by the scent of paper whites and pine -- and a signature cocktail. How festive and fun. Thanks for inviting us to a Southampton Fireside Dinner! What a lovely party.

Anonymous said...

Dear HH,

Thanks for having me. Your reserve Christmas eve with your intimates makes me feel very privileged. Hope all your Christmases are special.

Summer is a Verb said...

By this time tomorrow my fingers will be a bloody mess cuz on today's docket is that pushing of cloves through the clementines and threading of kumquats and bay leaves on florist wire. And, on another twinsies note, my homemade tree skirt is made from burlap with wide red grosgrain hot glued around the edge. Think I went through a bolt of that stuff one year trying to be clever after spying it used as wallpaper in Kelly Klein's father's Reston, VA store...XXOO

ps...what's your address again??? ;)

Unknown said...

Barbara,

You've got it all under control for the holidays I can see. Sweet guests and everything looks gorgeous. Burlap is perfect choice I agree and painters drop cloths work well too. How festive!

red ticking said...

g o r g e o u s.... just wish i could be there to see in person... can you leave it up till august? he he

wishing you the most wonderful holiday season dear friend... xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh this is all so beautiful, from the spruce decorated bar to your stunning home (which I am now obsessing over) to your wonderful tartan clad daughter, ah I'm going to have to try harder at being the perfect hostess!

Barbara@HausDesign said...

You did such a beautiful job! I loved your idea of using the foyer to have dinner (beautiful home, btw) and the kumquats are such a fresh touch! I have been looking for extra special hurricanes and I really love yours - would you mind sharing where you found them? If you're willing please email me: hausdesign@hotmail.com Well done!!!

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Gorgeous post Barbara and LOVE your party crashers. Would love the recipe for your mushroom and potato gratin ;-) Your house looks truly divine xx

designchic said...

Wow, Barbara, this should be in a magazine...so gorgeous - every detail. Love the idea of serving in the foyer, and the burlap, gold chargers and kumquats are stunning. Your precious "guests" are the perfect accessory to any dinner party. Happy weekend!

Splendid Sass said...

Barbara-
Everything looks beautiful! You have really gone all out and crossed every t! The garlic-wasabi cream sauce is a must-try this week.
This series is fabulous and i look forwards to Monday.
Have a nice weekend.
Teresa
xoxo

ps-the picture with your daughter and Dash is adorable.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Everything looks beautiful...I loved seeing your home. The yellow and white paper in the back ground intrigued me to want to see more. Your wood details on the walls looked great. Thanks for sharing..

Leslie said...

Barbara, Your home is lovely. Paperwhites are my favorite and the orange kumquat arrangement is perfect. Your menu sounds delcious! Happy Holidays

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Oh my Barbara where do I begin? Your home is gorgeous...I love the pretty way you set up the bar. The kumquats and paper whites everywhere are so fresh and wonderful. The menu is divine...I will have to try that potato and mushroom gratin. Thanks so much for sharing your home with us...XO, Mona

Mary Ann Pickett said...

This is just so fabulous I don't know where to begin. Love your use of the kumquats!! So original and fresh. (I have some topiaries by my front door that I would like to raid). And your Party Crashers are adorable. I will have to try your signature cocktail!

Ange @ A Cream Cottage said...

Wow! It all looks so lovely. You have given me some great decorating ideas so thank you! Ange

Splendid Market said...

Lovely blend of elegance and beach. The kumquats really make it. Lovely! Thanks for bringing us along. xo ebh

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous home for the holidays. Dash does look like such a party boy and your daughter is too cute in that plaid dress. Hope you're enjoying the season.
xo E + J

minerva @ park city realtor said...

The best accent in your house this Christmas season? Your Labradoodle! :D He's so cuuuuute! :D

annechovie said...

Barbara,
This post left me feeling very cheery....you have done a masterful job at creating an elegant and warm setting perfect for celebrating. Love all your beautiful touches! Wishing you the very best of holidays.

Punctuation Mark said...

everything looks amazing... love the kumquats!!! thanks for your sweet words on my graduation!!!

Jamie Anthony said...

Your Christmas in the Hamptons looks like a dream!! I could only imagine how fun the Hamptons really are. Hopefully I'll visit the area someday! I love the east coast!

Bijou-minou.blogspot.com

Hamptontoes said...

Love every single touch...the burlap (I have done that several times and totally agree, simply perfect!), the party crashers, the paperwhites...looks great! Happy holidays to you and yours!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

absolutely lovely! enjoy the holiday season!