Wednesday, February 10, 2010

CAN'T GET ENOUGH... CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING


I can't live without my chocolate, I tried, but I missed it so much, and it made me grumpy.  So I a path of moderation and limit my nightly chocolate indulgence to a piece or two.  I have also convinced myself of the important medicinal benefits of chocolate, which makes this ritual more in line with taking my vitamins, right?

I love all types of chocolate;  I'm happy with a Hershey kiss, but a tiny box of champagne truffles from Teuscher's is the ultimate indulgence. (Hint, Hint)  I was first introduced to these decadent little bon bons by my husband and he has dutifully gifted them every Valentine's Day.  Delicate and deliciously complex, these truffles are sublime.

With all this talk of chocolate and the impending Valentine's Day holiday just around the corner, I wanted to share my recipe for Chocolate Bread Pudding.  It's a dense and decadent dessert that's deceptively easy to make.  Prepare an hour or two before dinner, refrigerate and pop in the oven.  The rich chocolate custard elevates the homey bread pudding to an elegant dinner party dessert.  As if a plate of hot, gooey chocolate wasn't enough, I like to gild the lily with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Yes, I love my chocolate.

Chocolate Bread Pudding
6 cups of French Brioche bread or challah
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cup whole milk
1 cup of whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 1/4 cup good quality semisweet chocolate

Butter a 8x8 glass baking dish.   Take crush off bread and cube into 1 inch pieces.  Place bread cubes into a bowl and drizzle with melted butter, transfer to prepared baking dish. Bring milk and cream to a simmer in a sauce pan, remove from heat and add chocolate.  Whisk mixture for 1-2 minutes until the chocolate is fully incorporated. In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until combines.  Slowly whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until incorporated.  Pour custard evenly over bread.  Make sure all the bread is covered with the custard.  Cover with plastic wrap and let set for one hour.
At this point you can refrigerate for up to 2 hours or cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.  Serve with whipped cream.

No comments: