Tuesday, September 28, 2010

BIG APPLE


Last weekend I attended a birthday party in a beautiful Manhattan penthouse. A huge wrap around terrace housed a swimming pool (unheard of in NYC) two seating areas and dining for twenty. It was gorgeous, and with the Indian summer weather, simply perfect for an afternoon party. What I remember most about the interior of the home is the intoxicating scent of autumn apples that seemed to follow you through the house.  Upon entering the home, wooden antique crates of farm apples were placed near the door and under a table.  They rustic wooden boxes looked absolutely beautiful, a simple but stunning decorative element in the elegant foyer.  


My foyer is not large enough for crates of apples, but I do love the scent and look of a beautiful bowl filled with fall fruit.  I purchased this leaf porcelain bowl at Treillage a few years ago--it's deep enough to hold large fruit and look fantastic!
A simple glazed black bowl compliments bright fruit




Carolyne Roehm's spin on the fruit bowl centerpiece is elegant and beautiful. The varying textures of bright green Granny Smith apples and delicate fern plant are complimented by  stunning in silver bowls.  
Nakashima style bowl made from reclaimed maple


Pompeii blue footed bowl in glazed porcelain by Arte Italica



Mandara pedistal bowl made of beautiful weathered pine
 Chrome fruit bowl

Do you have a favorite fall design idea?

9 comments:

Hamptontoes said...

I don't nessarily have a favorite fall design, but I have many that I like! I like apples in a bowl...I do this every year after we do our apple picking!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

What a marvelous idea to have crates of apples set out. I did buy a bag of granny smiths because of their beautiful green and put them in two different height glass cylinder type vases on our kitchen table. I'm bringing out all the stops for staging our home since it's on the market.

I loved the pine bowl, truly unique. Your weekend sounded like great fun!

Splendid Sass said...

I love apples in a bowl. There is just something warm about them.
These bowls are gorgeous.
Have a nice day.
Teresa

Town and Country House said...

I love apples and all your container selections, too! My favorite is the pine pedestal, and I like the idea of the apples in rustic boxes for a party. I have a friend who keeps huge platters piled with peaches on her porch all summer (sorry, I didn't mean to alliterate so much!.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Great reminder for a simple, beautiful display! Your Telliage bowl is wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

The crate of apple brings me back to dinner at Chanterelle, a pioneering restaurant in Tribeca when there where no restaurants in the area. For all those years, crates of fresh apples scented the entrance hall. Great idea!

Unknown said...

I love apples in bowls - piled high. Pumpkins and ghourds...my new favorite fall candle, Pumpkin Chai by Nest. It smells like i've been baking all day!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I love these! And I have that Arte Italica blue bowl. It is one of my favorites.

Blooming Rose Musings said...

All of the bowls are exquisite. I adore apples displayed in a bowl. There is something about that image and scent that says "Welcome".