Tuesday, April 19, 2011

SPRING BREAK


We started our bookclub five years ago. A group of 12 mothers with children attending the same nursery school, it began with the occasional coffee in the morning after drop off and grew into a bona fide bookclub meeting every two months for dinner, drinks and eventually discussing books. Then recently, the discussion turned from Cleopatra to travel. "Let's go away for a long weekend," someone proposed. Everyone was "in" and guidelines were set: a resort with guaranteed good weather, a plane ride no longer than four hours and a topnotch spa was our criteria.  We decided on the Zoetry Resort on the Mayan Riveria, an all inclusive beachfront resort with a Thalasso Spa, two stunning pools, healthy gourmet food and libations galore.

Seven of us arrived at the resort last Wednesday feeling harried from leaving home.  Lists had been made (yes she has homework every night!), groceries were bought, grandparents and sitters were brought in and fingers were crossed.  Of course, the world would not fall apart without us there (or would it?!)


We had a fantastic four days at Zoetry.  Our lazy days were punctuated with spa treatments, swimming and snorkeling with necessary breaks for mudslides and mohitos. One afternoon a lovely woman from Chile asked me if I was part of the "Literary Group" vacationing.  Ha, ha! I've certainly been called worse! 

We giggled and gossiped, wondered how "the guys" were handling the kids and just relaxed.  By the time we got on our plane home, we were golden brown, feeling zen and ready to see our families. It was lovely to be away and so great to come home.  



12 comments:

Ann said...

Oh that looks like so much fun,
and the place is breathtaking,
and you get to read and discuss books too? I'm seriously envious ♥

Allie said...

Wow, what a neat getaway! You ladies must have had a fantastic time there. The photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
www.skylarkmanor.com

The enchanted home said...

Now THAT is my kind of book club..I am so in the wrong book club! Haha...love it! What a beautiful idea. And what a great way for a group of women to come together..over the love of reading. Funny because I belonged to 2 clubs..one was totally serious, mostly made up of working women who were all buiness there only to discuss the book and let me tell you, we had some seriously intellectual discussions..but the other one, well lets just say we were lucky if we ever got around to ugh, actually even discussing the book we were there to supposedbly be discussing..lol! Looks like you all had a blast....thanks for sharing the highlights!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Now *that* is a book club! sounds like a perfect getaway with friends!

quintessence said...

How FABULOUS. I agree with everyone else - my kind of book club!! How wonderful to be able to get away with friends to a beautiful escapist location. Hoping you're feeling refreshed and recharged!!

designchic said...

What a wonderful idea and a beautiful location. My bookclub must start a weekend getaway. What a lovely way to refresh and relax and recharge with friends!!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

What a deserving group of ladies! It looks amazing and I am so glad it all worked out. I love to read, but have never joined a book club...I think I might now!! Welcome back :)

Kathie Truitt said...

I would like to invite your book club to take a look at my novel, "False Victim" which is based (VERY, VERY heavily) on a true story. It's autobiographical (yes, I am "Julie") and a creepy story. It was featured on Investigation Discovery back in January, and while the movie rights were sold to Lifetime, they decided at the last minute to drop the project (it wasn't just me, they dropped a lot of their 2011 movies).

I have travelled to book clubs all over the US during my book tour and would either love to visit yours or I'll do a conference call.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kathie Truitt
Author, "False Victim"
and the upcoming
"The Hillbilly Debutante Cafe" released Spring 2012

The French Tangerine said...

Funny, I just did a book club post this morning! Yours looks a heck of a lot more fun than mine! I mean, I got all sentimental writing my post about our long friendships, etc. but planning a getaway like this sounds really wonderful! I have travelled with a couple gals from my book club, but not 7!
Lucky you!

Unknown said...

WOW! What a gorgeous place, gorgeous group of friends/literary afficianados.....and what a glorious idea! Getting away can be stressful just setting it all up, so very, very proud of you that you made it happen.

And so jealous that you're tan. I'm a pasty mess with this weather! :)

Welcome home! xo E

red ticking said...

ohhhh i am sooo envious... so happy to see you having fun in the sun... xoxo

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Good for you ladies, getting away to somewhere so fabulous!! Janell