Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Cover



Pareo, sarong, wrap: the whisper thin cotton beach cover-up has many names but it's the pareo's ability to turn a panicky bathing suit moment into pure beach chic that makes it a summer must have.  I remember my first Hampton share house- a group of us headed to the beach the first afternoon and one of the girls, Italian and so chic, pulled out a patterned fabric scarf and artfully tied it around her tiny waist. She had brought several pareo's in her bag, one to tie around her long, dark hair, one to lay on, and one that I snatched and tried to tie as perfectly as she had around my swimsuit! With just a small twist and tuck of fabric, the pareo can be worn over a swimsuit as a casual dress, skirt or shawl-it's a summer essential I always bring with me to the beach. Here are a few of my summer favorites:


 Pareo's from Roberta Freyman and Calypso

8 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Love the look and boy can I relate to that panicky beach moments (make than many of those moments:) This is a great way to look chic, stay covered and still be cool at the beach. Beautiful ones that you showed!

quintessence said...

Love pareo's - so easy and versatile. I also have one with me. That pretty first one is my favorite!!

Unknown said...

I love this look --- I just need a lesson in how to tie one!! I'm sure you are super chic at the beach with one (or many) or these!!

xo Elizabeth

Kathysue said...

Thanks to these wonderful wraps I will wear a bathing suit, otherwise I would not even put a suit on. I love all the bright and fresh fabrics that they are usually made of . Kathysue

Hamptontoes said...

I love these wraps, they are beautiful, practical for many reasons and as you mentioned, super chic. My MIL gave me first one years ago with the instructions on how to tie it in various styles. I still use it all the time. After this weekend, I'll be out every weekend. Would love to grab lunch!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

I have a longer blue and white one. I have always thought I need a shorter one...since I'm shorter! These are really cute!! XO, Kelly

ali v. said...

how gorgeous! I wish I looked this chic when I tied my wrap...I just look frumpy unfortunately ;) so happy to have stumbled on your blog! xoxo {av}

red ticking said...

so loving this... if it would finally warm up here in seattle... oh what a day that would be!

would love to come for a visit... lets plan it!