Friday, April 6, 2012

FABULOUS SPRING HOLIDAY DINNER

I've been obsessed for months with Rozanne Gold's new cookbook, Radically Simple, which is filled with fantastic, fresh recipes that take around 20 minutes to prepare; definitely my kind of cookbook.  With Passover and Easter fast approaching, I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes for a delicious and very elegant main course-Smoked and Fresh Salmon En Chemise.  Sounds elegant, doesn't it?  The recipes uses salmon fillets which are wrapped in a layer of smoked salmon and roasted at a very high temperature.  The result is a rich salmon with a subtle, smoky perfume.  The fish is served with a springtime fresh green sauce made with tomatillos, fresh herbs and lime juice.  Delicious, elegant  and holiday ready!


Smoked Salmon and Fresh Salmon En Chemise

6 thick salmon fillets with skin, 6 ounces each
9 ounces, best-quality, thinly-sliced smoked salmon
16 ounces tomatillos, at room temperature
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
large handful of pea shoots or microgreens to garnish
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Remove any bones from salmon and season with salt and pepper; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Completely enrobe the top and sides of each fillet with a thin layer of smoked salmon, pressing down firmly and tucking ends under the fish. Roast 12 to 14 minutes, until just firm. Do not overcook. Meanwhile, cut the tomatillos into 1-inch pieces. Add to a food processor with the oil, basil, cilantro, onion, lime juice and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt. Process until very smooth. Spoon a puddle of sauce onto 6 large plates. Top with the salmon and garnish with pea shoots or microgreens. Serves 6
Wishing all my readers who celebrate Easter and Passover a wonderful holiday!  I'm looking forward to the long weekend out in Southampton.  Hoping for some great weather--I would love to take a long walk on the beach and am excited to attend a fun Easter egg hunt and lunch with friends on Sunday. Happy Weekend!

12 comments:

quintessence said...

I love the name as well as the recipe - looks "simply" delicious!! Wishing you a wonderful holiday!!

Chic Coles said...

Yum that looks so good and healthy. have a great weekend.

Splendid Sass said...

Barbara-
I love anything salmon, so this is going in the recipe box.
Happy Easter.
Teresa
xoxo

I Dream Of said...

Barbara, your weekend sounds delicious - and so does the salmon. I'll have to pick up a copy of that cookbook.
Have a lovely relaxing time away!

Splendid Market said...

tomatillos, basil and cilantro? All my favorites. This book is on my list!

Unknown said...

Barbara,

Fabulous! Have a Blessed Easter Weekend!

Bette

Acquired Objects said...

The salmon sounds wonderful! I hope you enjoy your Easter Barbara!

XX
Debra~

The French Hutch said...

Yes, a very elegant dish. It is simple to make and healthy. I'm sure this is a beautiful presentation too.

Easter Blessing
~Emily
The French Hutch

Cynthia said...

This looks wonderful and beautiful. Happy Easter.

Leslie said...

Hi Barbara,

I need to take a look at this cookbook! Sounds like it's filled with lots of great ideas. I'm all about quick meal prep. I'm serving salmon, along with traditional ham which I'm not a huge fan of (too much salt and I have to watch my cholesterol these days..)

Enjoy the weekend with your family.

Leslie

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

This sounds delicious...and easy! Thanks! XO, Pinky

Karen said...

I love salmon. Thanks for the recipe.
Karen