Thursday, September 23, 2010

THAT'S THE WAY THE APPLE CRUMBLES


If an apple a day is suppose to be good for you, than the bushel we bought last weekend should do me wonders.

But a girl can only eat so many apples-

So I made an apple crisp. I'm not sure what I love more- the sweet cinnamon apples or crunchy, oaty topping (probably the topping).
 So much easier to make than pie (no crust) this homey dessert can be ready for guest with a dollop of fresh Calvados infused whipped cream. Enjoy!

Old Fashioned Apple Crisp

Ingredients

  • 5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples
  • Grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For the topping:

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish.

Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.

To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.

Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.

13 comments:

Alexis said...

Yum...that sounds great!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Darling, it's official - You can do it all! You're beautiful, stylish, and talented, and a heck of a cook too! I want to be you 'when I grow up'!

The Buzz Blog said...

So yummy! I'm taking your recipe upstate this weekend since it's apple picking time in the Hudson Valley...
xxoo

Splendid Sass said...

I am now seriously craving this dessert/breakfast/lunch dish! Looks wonderful. I will try this over the weekend.
Have a nice day.
Teresa

Shorely Chic said...

I'll be having friends over for dinner next weekend - this will 'shorely' be for dessert - yum!!

Suburban Princess said...

Apple Crisp is the only fruit based dessert I like...well...I usually eat it as a breakfast food lol!

Valerie said...

That looks delicious! I love apple crips and what a great way to use all the apples you bought.

Valerie

Unknown said...

Love an apple crisp. The smell, the textures, the flavor! Love apple season!!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

Thanks for the recipe! If you ever need a mean blueberry cobbler to impress, I can help you out there :)
Have a great weekend!! Kelly

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Some of the best things about fall are the apples. This sounds delightful. I think I just might have to give this recipe a try over the weekend! Thank you for sharing what looks to be a very delicious recipe!

North of 25A said...

Looks yummy! I am having friends over tomorrow and I think I just might have to try this. Thank you!
Best,
Colleen

red ticking said...

next time i visit... i will make sure it is in the fall! he he
hope you received my note... xx

Unknown said...

yummy. please send one to the west coast, stat.