Wednesday, September 22, 2010

PASSEMENTERIE

Passementerie: the name itself sounds like a lovely French delicacy and in a sense it is-the spectacular art of making elaborate trims or edgings which when applied to upholstery, pillows or drapes, elevates the simple to sublime couture.

My favorite passementerie shop is Samuel and Sons, conveniently located just doors from the D & D Building. Tall mahogany bookcases contain rows of beautiful ribbon, gimp, braids and fringes. I always stop by after a trip to the D & D with a bag of fabric memos in hand.  A decorator's treasure hunt-trying to find just the right trim for your fabric is great fun!
I was taken with the store's chic window display-a summer vignette of white wrought iron chairs and sky blue silk pillows trimmed with a necklace worthy combination of delicate shells and wooden beads.
Inspired by jewelry and fashion trends, exotic shells, dark wooden beads and glass tassels are beautiful and unexpected natural trim elements.
These gorgeous trims can transform a simple cotton pillow or pair of linen drapes into something truly extraordinary.
I'm using this exotic trim on a pair of cream cotton pillows-their unique shape will play nicely against the chocolate velvet sofa.

Fringe, gimp, tassels or braids-what's your favorite trim?

9 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

Love them all. Such beautiful trims. I will have to visit.
Have a nice day.
Teresa

The Buzz Blog said...

Samuel & Son has the most amazing tassels - really the only place to go in New York for all your trimming needs!

Unknown said...

Trims make all the difference in the world. They are to fabric what mascara is to the eye!!!

xo Elizabeth

cotedetexas said...

you really have heard of Lynn???? Wow! such a small school. did your friend's daughter have learning issues? a lot of the kids there have add or dyslexia. my elisabeth has add.

Diana Mieczan said...

Those are beautiful:) I have to check them out:) You have a stunning blog here
Kisses
Ps: I am hosting a sweet GIVEAWAY today :) Hope you will join in :)!!!

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

As a pillow maker, give me some GIMP!!

Hamptontoes said...

I'm always at Samuel & Sons...it is my first stop when looking to enhance textile creations!

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Such beautiful trims. I love Pretty Pink Tulips description...they are to fabric what mascara is to the eye! Wonderful!

Mike said...

I'd love to see all your earrings that you own. They are all probably very nice.